Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Battle Hymn of a Semi-Wannabe Tiger Mother

Lately, I have gotten into audio books. I have NEVER been a reader. I'll flip through a magazine, but I rarely grab a book. Books are one of the rare categories in my life that I don't care if I finish them or not. This includes food, movies, songs, and shows. Alex is the opposite; he has to finish everything. I don't understand it, but I do appreciate his drive for commitment with life.

The first audio book, that I picked up was "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua. I will admit that I LOVED IT! It was a six hour audio book that took me less than a week to complete. I could not turn this off! It was amazing, and it taught me a lot about balancing the different stages of motherhood.



I don't want to say that I won't be a "helicopter mom". I really have no idea what type of mother I am yet. I do want to learn as much as possible, and I have started educating myself on how to push Nick to do his personal best. Did I cheer on Chua as she read through her book- oh ya, but I also reflected on how I can learn from her "mistakes".

After listening to the book, I contemplated my competitive positions for myself and Nicholas. Like most mothers, I want the ultimate best for Nick, and I will do anything to make sure he gets there. I want to spend every second with Nicholas as he grows and learns, while also preparing him to jump the nest when the time arrives.

One of the most important things I can do for Nick is make the "best" decisions for him. The nutrients that I provide for Nick are crucial for his life. I want his brain and body to be top notch, and Alex and I are responsible for getting him there.

I have a feeling that I may struggle with pushing Nicholas, as well as, myself. I don't want to break Nick down; I do want him to trust that I believe in him and know he is capable of amazing things. I am nervous and excited to see how I can get him there...time will tell.

It is also important to be an example for Nicholas. Nick already follows by Alex's and my examples. I have to pretend to eat certain foods, so Nick will be fooled to eat whatever I am offering him. Personally, I have made a huge effort to show Nick that I am willing to give 100%- cooking (food choices), cleaning, fitness, and in life in general. This has actually surprised me in regards to what I can do! I had no idea that I could some of the activities that I have done lately-- For example, I walked the entire zoo with Nick in the backpack. My goal was to walk half of the zoo with Nick on my back (around 30ish pounds-- Nick + backpack supplies = 25% my body weight!), but I got to the halfway mark and wanted to keep going! At over 3.5 miles, I felt accomplished and ready to take on more!



Anyway, has anyone else read/listened to this book?? What are your thoughts on "Tiger Moms"?

I tried Jenny McCartney's "Stirring the Pot" audio book- fail. Currently, I am reading Cameron Diaz's "The Body Book". I am hoping to learn more about my nutritional and physical choices. Happy reading and/or listening, fitness friends!


signature

1 comment:

  1. How to Play Baccarat in India - Wrione
    › betting › baccarat-in › betting › baccarat-in The first method of betting is by selecting the option of bets to be successful. 바카라 게임 사이트 The wagering requirement for the wager is dependent upon which team is

    ReplyDelete